Boardman MTR 8.9
At a Glance:
- New 29er platform with 145/150mm travel and UK trail focussed geometry
- RockShox 35 Gold fork and Deluxe Select+ shock give outstanding, easily tuneable suspension performance
- SRAM Guide T 4-piston brakes and 12 speed NX Eagle gears perform flawlessly
- Maxxis Minion DHF and DHRII tyres on wide Boardman rims grip without folding in the corners
- Satori Sorata Pro dropper post allows maximum body movement on the bike
Our Verdict: If you’re looking for a solid first full-suspension bike, or you’re simply on a budget, it’s pretty tough to go wrong with the 2021 Boardman MTR 8.9. Its geometry is spot on for a range of riding; if you're a newbie it’ll grow with you as you progress, while if you're a veteran it’s ready and raring to be thrown down your favourite tracks.
Click on these Boardman MTR 8.9 deals to see more:
Introducing the Boardman MTR 8.9, a trail-ready full suspension rig designed for aggressive riding. With its impressive specifications and carefully procured components, the MTR 8.9 is built to up the ante when it comes to trail riding. Whether you're a newbie looking for your first full-suspension bike or a seasoned veteran seeking an upgrade, the MTR 8.9 is a fantastic choice that won't disappoint.
Design and Materials
The Boardman MTR 8.9 features a frame made from X7 triple-butted 6061 alloy. This angular and purposeful design provides excellent strength and durability while keeping the overall weight of the bike in check. The shock is mounted horizontally beneath the top tube, allowing for efficient suspension performance and improved handling on rough terrain.
The bike's cables are routed externally along the underside of the down tube, making maintenance easier and more accessible. Additionally, there is a port on the rear of the seat tube for internally routed dropper post cables, ensuring a clean and streamlined look.
For riders seeking a confidence-inspiring trail bike ready to shred black-diamond terrain, the Boardman MTR 8.9 brings stability, control and progression together in one capable package. Dialed geometry, quality suspension and components deliver versatility across steep, loose and rocky trails.
A Robust Frame and Rear Suspension Design
The MTR 8.9 centres around a durable aluminium frameset providing a lively yet stable ride feel. 145mm of rear wheel travel from the RockShox Deluxe Select+ shock smooths out rocks and roots. Up front, a 150mm RockShox 35 fork combines with the slack 66-degree head angle for traction across variable surfaces.
Tunable Suspension Enhances Traction and Control
The air-sprung RockShox fork and rear shock can be customized to match your weight and riding style. Tune the compression and rebound to achieve your perfect suspension feel for the terrain. Paired with Boost hub spacing, the MTR 8.9 handles precisely across diverse conditions.
Confidence on Steep and Loose Terrain
SRAM Guide hydraulic disc brakes give you the power to control your speed through tricky rock gardens and loose chutes. A 12-speed SRAM NX Eagle drivetrain with 10-50T cassette maintains momentum so you can climb efficiently and blast downhill with stability.
29” Wheels Roll Over Obstacles
Large 29” wheels paired with grippy tubeless-ready tyres help the MTR 8.9 stay on track over roots and loose rocks. The big contact patch sticks confidently in corners, letting you carry speed out of turns and down twisty singletrack.
Tame the Most Technical Trails
Whether you're honing skills at the bike park, tackling black-diamond singletrack or competing in enduro races, the MTR 8.9 brings versatility, stability and control so you can challenge rugged terrain with confidence.
- Frame: X7 triple-butted 6061 alloy with Rockshox Deluxe Select +, 230mm x 60mm
- Fork: Rockshox 35 Gold RL 150mm
- Headset: FSA No.42, Tapered
- Bottom Bracket: SRAM GXP, 73mm
- Cranks: SRAM NX Eagle - 170mm
- Chainrings: 32T narrow wide
- Front Derailleur: N/A
- Rear Derailleur: SRAM NX Eagle - 12-speed
- Shifter: SRAM NX Eagle - 12 speed
- Front Brake: SRAM Guide T - 180 mm rotor
- Rear Brake: SRAM Guide T - 180 mm rotor
- Cassette: SRAM PG1210 Eagle - 11-50T
- Chain: SRAM SX Eagle - 12-speed
- Saddle: Boardman MTR
- Seat Post: Satori Sorata Pro2 Dropper S/M - 125mm, L/XL - 150mm
- Stem: Boardman Alloy, Zero rise - 31.8mm clamp
- Handlebar: Boardman Alloy, 0.5mm Rise 780mm
- Handlebar Tape: Boardman Lock-on Grips
- Pedals: Wellgo flats, 9/16”
- Weight: Approx. 15.8kg
- Wheelset: Boardman Boost 29er Tubeless Ready
- Hubs: Alloy 32H - 15mm x 110 mm Front / 12mm x 148mm Boost
- Rims: Boardman 30mm Internal & Tubeless Ready
- Tyre: Maxxis Minion, Front - DHF Exo TR, Rear - DHRII Exo TR - Tubeless Ready
The Boardman MTR 8.9 has received rave reviews from both experts and riders alike. According to Off Road CC, the MTR 8.9 strikes the perfect balance between a stellar ride and well-chosen components. The bike's geometry and suspension make it a capable machine for trail riding, and it's a solid choice for those on a budget.
MBUK/Bikeradar also highly recommends the MTR 8.9, praising its progressive geometry and carefully procured spec. They describe it as a fantastic all-rounder with the potential to be upgraded into a rocket ship. With its impressive performance and versatility, the MTR 8.9 is sure to leave riders satisfied.
Overall, the MTR 8.9 receives a rating of 4.5 out of 5, making it an excellent choice for riders of all skill levels. Whether you're just starting out or looking for your next upgrade, the MTR 8.9 delivers on all fronts.